Chkembe corba or tripe stew is specific for Bitola, my hometown. That’s why people from Bitola are called “chkembari” 🙂 Read how to prepare this specialty.
- 1.5 kg of cleaned beef tripe
- calf bone
- 4-5 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tbs mixed spices, salt
- bay leaf
- Boil tripe with potatoes and carrots until soft. When boiled, cut into small pieces and mash potatoes and carrots.
- Separately boil bone (it needs more time to cook, preferably 1 hour in a pressure cooker). Once cooked, remove bone and keep the remaining liquid.
- Combine tripe with the liquid from the bone. Bring together to boil and make roux from 1 tablespoon flour with 1 tablespoon red pepper for cooking cooked on oil. Add roux, add 1 tablespoon mixed spices, pepper, bay leaf and salt to taste. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the addition of makalo (garlic sauce).