Tarana or tahranya is a kind of pasta in the shape of small balls, very popular here. There are people in Macedonia who prepare tarana at home, but I think it’s easier to buy it. It’s a cheap pasta, one package from 500 g costs around 1$, that’s why I don’t see a reason to make it at home. This is my way of preparing tarana and my family loves it!
- 1 package tarana (serves 4-5 people)
- water as needed (follow the instructions on the package)
- 1 tbs of oil and a pinch of salt
- white cheese
- 200 ml milk
- Put required water to boil, add a pinch of salt and 1 tbs oil and add tarana. Leave to cook and if you think there’s too much water, just pour out the excess water.
- Before the end, add 1 glass of milk and leave to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Tarana shouldn’t be very thick, but almost liquid, it will thicken soon you’ll see.
- Serve warm and combine with grated white cheese.