I remember my grandma used to prepare these sweet kifli crescent rolls when I was a kid. I would wait impatiently till they were ready and I remember how the whole place smelled – like sweet heaven 🙂 I think she called them puterki (meaning butter kifli).
- 1 kg flour
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml milk
- 200 ml oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- jam or marmalade
- yeast (I use dry yeast, 10 gr.)
- 150 g butter for coating.
- 1 egg
- Knead well the dough from all the above ingredients and immediately divide into 12 balls.
- Each ball develop to about 15 cm in diameter, coat with melted butter, put above the second also developed layer and continue until 6th layer. The above layer should not be coated with butter. Repeat the procedure with the other 6 balls.
- Now roll out the first 6 layers with a rolling pin in a large circle at approximately 5 mm thickness, cut into triangles, put some jam in the wider part and roll in a croissant shape.
- Allow the prepared crescent rolls to rest for about 20 minutes, brush with egg and bake in preheated oven at 200 C degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.