When you say salad in Macedonia, you mean Shopska salad. Vegetables used in this salad grow naturally in Macedonia, people from all around the world say that they’ve never tasted such a good tomato or a cucumber as in Macedonia. I especially recommend this salad in summer.
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 small onion
- grated cheese
- olive oil
- red apple vinegar (optional, I don’t use it)
- 1 olive
- Chop tomatoes and cucumbers into middle-sized pieces ( I prefer smaller pieces). Put them in a medium sized bowl and add some salt.
- Slice the onions in tiny pieces and add them to the bowl.
- Add olive oil.
- Add some vinegar if you want to, my opinion is that vinegar doesn’t get along well with tomatoes as it does with cucumbers and onions
- Add grated white cheese on the top of the salad and garnish with fresh herbs. I usually use sheep cheese, it’s the best!
- Put the olive on top.
I suggest a glass of old yellow rakija with the salad.