This Serbian recipe for potato salad (krompir salata) is made with a vinegar-and-oil dressing.
Since mayonnaise or sour cream are not used to bind the potatoes and vegetables, this version of potato salad is a perfect picnic item in terms of food safety.
This potato salad tastes best if you allow the flavors to marry in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Total: 35 mins
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Refrigerate: 8 hrs
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6 large white potatoes (boiled, peeled and sliced or diced; or Yukon Gold potatoes)
- 2 medium yellow onions (halved and sliced thinly, or 1 bunch sliced green onions)
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper (roasted, chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Steps to Make It
- Place potatoes and onions in a large bowl.
- In a screw-top jar, add vinegar, oil, garlic, red pepper, salt, sugar, and black pepper.
- Cover with the lid and shake vigorously. Toss potatoes with dressing.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- For best flavor, allow coming to room temperature before serving.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
See Full Nutritional Guidelines
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)