One of my favorite winter dishes is this one, or as we call it – podvarok. I love it in combination with chicken or pork. I usually combine it with chicken legs because of my kids, but this time I made it with pork and the combination was wonderful. Preparation is easy, but it requires more time.
- 1 medium sized sauerkraut head
- 500 g of pork
- 150 g bacon
- 1 onion
- oil or lard for frying
- 1/2 cup of water
- spices: salt, black pepper, a little red pepper, bay leaf
- First chop sauerkraut into small pieces together with the onion and fry for about 20 minutes. Use the pan in which you’ll later bake. Stir occasionally and fry at medium heat.
- Cut pork and bacon into smaller pieces, coat with a little oil and just a pinch of salt, add spices you usually use, then add chopped meat the sauerkraut and fry them together for about 15 minutes. Make sure there is enough oil in the pan.
- Add black pepper and paprika, add half a cup of water and bay leaf, mix and put thus prepared pan to bake in oven for 1 hour or more at 200 C degrees with occasional stirring.
- In the end, the sauerkraut and the meat should be well baked and soft.