Šampita is a marshmallow dessert with fillo dough crust on the bottom and on the top. It’s a very popular dessert in ex Yugoslav republics, including Macedonia. Šampita is a fast, light and delicious dessert.
Prepare this creamy cake that is an ideal addition to afternoon coffee.
- 400 g ready puff pastry
For the filling:
- 7 egg whites
- 400 g sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Set a baking rack in the middle.
- Divide the puff pastry dough into two parts. Place each part separately on a baking paper on the back of the pan and bring to bake for 12-13 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool.
- Now prepare the whipped cream. Put 4-5 cm of water in a smaller pot and heat to boiling.
- In a meanwhile, place egg whites in a metal bowl and gently mix with a fork (just to foam them). Now, put dish with egg whites on the pot with boiling water (it mustn’t touch the water) and gradually add the sugar (in which you have added whole vanilla sugar). Stir constantly with a wire.
- If you have a thermometer, the temperature in the egg whites bowl should be around 65 C, egg whites will are pasteurized at that temperature.If you don’t have a thermometer, then check the temperature like this: Take a little of the mixture between your fingers, when you rub if you don’t feel sugar crystals, that means the temperature is achieved. Just don’t overcook.
- Then start to mix with a mixer until doubled. Add the lemon juice after a while. Mix until cream is completely cool and hard.
- Spread cream on the bottom crust. Smooth with a wet knife. Place the second layer on top.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
I suggest you cut the second layer on squares before applying on cream, so the cake won’t smash when cutting.