This is one of the most prepared dishes in Macedonia, one of my favorites too. I’ll present my way of preparing this dish, so we’ll get a chicken soup too.
- 1,5 big cup (250 ml) of rice
- 6 or more chicken legs
- 2-3 carrots
- mixed spices
- salt, black pepper.
- First, cook chicken legs with carrots in water for 30 minutes. We’ll use water from chicken legs to prepare the soup later.
- After that, put the rice in a baking pan and cook with some oil. Stir constantly. When rice starts to become darker (be careful not to burn it), add 2 cups of the chicken legs water and 3 cups of hot water. Add salt and spices and mix.
- Let it cook for several minutes, then put the chicken legs above the rice, add some oregano, salt and spices on the legs and place the pan in a preheated oven to bake on 250 degrees until rice gets a beautiful golden color. Baking time is about 30-45 minutes.
- While we cook rice with chicken legs, we’ll prepare the soup. Put some vermicelli (quantity depends on how much water we have), salt and mixed spices in the water where we cooked the chicken legs and cook until vermicelli is done. Blend carrots through a strainer and add them to the soup. That’s it!
Combine everything with fresh salad.