Pickle the vegetables a day ahead and refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Alternatively, seal them in sterilized jars for up to 6 months.
Pulled pork rolls with pickled veg and salsa (sandwich de chola)
- Preparation 20min
- Cooking 2hr
- Makes 6
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 yellow habanero chillies (see Note), seeded, chopped
- 1.5 kg pork shoulder, rind removed
- 1 orange, juiced
- 80 ml ((⅓ cup) white vinegar
- 6 large soft white round rolls
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne
- 100 g green beans, trimmed, cut into julienne
- 3 yellow habenero chillies (see Note), chopped
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 500 ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
- 55 g (¼ cup) white sugar
Hot salsa (lajwa):
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 yellow habanero chillies (see Note), seeded, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Chilling time overnight
To make pickled vegetables, blanch onion, carrot, and beans separately in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes each, then drain and refresh in iced water. Drain well. Combine the chilies, peppercorns, white vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Add vegetables and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Makes 250 g.
To make hot salsa, blend all ingredients and ½ tsp salt in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside. Makes 1½ cups.
To make the pulled pork, preheat oven to 160°C. Process peppercorns, oregano, cumin, 1 tsp salt, garlic and chilies in a food processor to a paste. Rub over the pork and place in a heavy-based saucepan with orange juice, vinegar, and 125 ml water. Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 2 hours or until pork is meltingly tender. Cool for 15 minutes. Using 2 forks, pull the pork apart into long shreds. Cover and keep warm until needed.
Cut rolls in half. Layer half the bread rolls with pulled pork, pickled vegetables, and salsa. Top with remaining bread and serve.
- Yellow habanero chillies, from selected greengrocers, are very hot; wear latex gloves when handling. Substitute 1 tbsp pickled murupi from delis or other hot peppers.