*Traditional Gjomleze done under a sac (iron pan radiating).
– See more at: http://www.healthyfoodcorner.com/gjomleze/#sthash.NAqdwozR.dpu
Gjomleze (ѓомлезе) originates from the southwestern part of Macedonia. It is a big soft white pie with a crispy crust. It is still prepared in the same way as hundreds of years ago; with a traditional cooking apparatus called a “sach” (сач). We don’t use the sach in this recipe and it can also be prepared in the oven. Be prepared to spend several hours for this specialty, but it’s definitely worth it!
- 1 1/2 kg flour
- 2 l water
- 2 tsp salt
- 100 ml oil
- Mix flour, salt and water with a mixer to obtain a mixture similar to that of crepes. Add more flour or water if needed.
- Coat pan with oil and pour small amount of the mixture with a large deep spoon to make a thin layer crepe. Place in a heated oven to bake until slightly red.
- After you bake the first layer, coat with oil and pour the second thin layer and return to bake again.
- Repeat the procedure until you waste all mixture.
- When the last crust is slightly baked, remove pan from the oven, cut in cubes, sprinkle with oil and return to bake a little longer till red.