Mustard is very easy to prepare, all you need is only few ingredients. This is the basic recipe for its preparation. The most important is to get grind mustard seeds, or mustard seeds which you’ll grind yourself preferably in a machine for grinding coffee.
- 110 g ground white mustard seeds
- 10 g salt (2 teaspoons)
- 20 g honey or brown sugar (2 tablespoons)
- 60 ml white vinegar
- 80 ml water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Place ground mustard seeds in a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix nicely. Stir the mixture for about 5 minutes. It will be quite liquid in the beginning, but after 10 minutes you will see how the mustard mixture thickens. Leave it in the pot about 2 hours and stir occasionally.
- Finally, place the prepared mustard in a jar. Cover with lid, but don’t close. Mustard needs to stand overnight and ferment. You can then close the jar and store in the refrigerator.
- Thus prepared mustard needs three weeks to “mature”. It’s very chill in the beginning and it’s taste softens as time goes by.
- For richer taste you can add garlic, rosemary, curry, ginger, poppy and turn simple plain mustard into a delicacy.
Be careful when grinding mustard seeds, keep machine cool, because by heating mustard (even at 30°) it loses flavor and gets bitter taste.
Once you notice that the machine is even slightly warm, stop grinding, wait 2-3 minutes to cool and then continue. You can split the amount of 110 g into several parts and then grind each part separately. You should get fine ground mixture. If available, buy ground mustard seeds from the store.