I first tried this moussaka at my sister’s place, I was thrilled how good it was. I usually prepare potato or zucchini moussaka, but this one was a real surprise for my senses. It’s even easier to prepare this dish than these 2 other types of moussaka, and even healthier too. I used shtave (zelje) in this recipe and you can use other leafy vegetables like spinach or similar.
- 4 bundles green leaves silverbeet
- 450 g minced meat
- 1 onion
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 3 carrots
- 1 cup rice
- spices (vegeta)
- red pepper, black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, fermented milk or yogurt
- Clean leaves and remove handles.
- Cook onions and carrots in a baking pan with some oil. When onions soften, add minced meat, season to taste and add the rice. Cook for about 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Place leaves above and pour water till top.
- Put the tray in a preheated oven at 200 C degrees.
- Remove tray from the oven in 30 minutes and pour the eggs and cream dressing on top. Leave moussaka to bake for another 15 minutes.