A great recipe for the famous Ohrid bagels. This is an old recipe, from a woman that lives in Ohrid. These bagels are great for breakfast, with a glass of yogurt and a little cheese. I like them with a glass of yogurt or plain.
- 400 g flour
- 1/2 cube fresh yeast 20 g
- 1/2 cup of water (lukewarm)
- 2 tablespoons edible oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of lard
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 liter of water (for boiling)
- sesame seed (for dipping)
- Place the flour, yeast, salt, oil and lard in a bowl.
- Mix everything well with adding water. If necessary, add more water.
- Knead medium soft dough. Leave the dough to rise for about an hour.
- Divide the dough into 10-15 balls.
- Stretch each ball with your hands.Wrap them in the form of a bagel.
- In the meantime, put 500 ml of water in a large pot and allow it to boil.
- Put one teaspoon of honey in the water. Boil the bagels for about a minute, and put them on a towel.
- Then immediately dip each in sesame seeds and align on a pan with baking paper. Bake at 180 C degrees for about 40 minutes while the bagels get a beautiful brown color.