Maznik is a traditional Macedonian swirl pastry, made of thin kneaded dough, filled with white cheese, spinach, leeks or minced meat and then rolled in a swirl form. It’s very popular, like zelnik or burek. Homemade maznik is the best, you can’t buy that good maznik in a store. This is one of the best maznik recipes, try it and impress your family or friends.
- 700 g flour
- 1/8 cube yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50 ml of oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 200 ml of carbonated mineral water
- lukewarm water if necessary
- filling optional (spinach, cheese, minced meat, sauerkraut)
- Mix yeast with lukewarm water in a bowl. Add 1 tbs flour and 1 tsp sugar. Leave to activate.
- Then place flour in the bowl and add the oil, salt and mineral water.
- Knead dough and add water if necessary until dough is soft.
- Form 4 disks from the dough (diameter 15 cm) by pressing dough with your hands, then cover them with some oil. Leave to rise for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer disks to work on the middle of a table cloth, and gradually start pulling the edges of the sheet until you get a thin crust. Remove edges of the crust. Sprinkle crust with oil and apply the prepared filling. Bend crusts in a roll form. Then bend in a swirl form and put in a oil coated circular baking pan.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 20-25 minutes until maznik gets a beautiful golden/red color.
- After baking, cover pie with a kitchen towel then serve. Serve with fermented milk.