I’ve been searching for the perfect recipe for Macedonian sweet bread kozinjak for years. I have tried many recipes, but this one I can say that is the perfect one.
- 20 g fresh yeast (half cube)
- 50 ml milk
- 50 ml yogurt
- 50 ml oil
- 50 g butter
- 5 tbs sugar
- 1 vanilla
- about 500 g flour
- 2 eggs (1 for coating)
- Heat milk with yeast, sugar and a little flour to become lukewarm, not warm. Leave to foam.
- Mix yogurt with egg.
- Pour flour in a plastic bowl, add the yogurt with the egg, yeast, vanilla, and oil and knead a soft dough.
- Once the dough is nicely kneaded, follows a tip for kozinjak to be rich in laces. Melt butter and let cool. Add a little to the dough while kneading, then put some on the hands, knead again and so on until all butter is spent.
- Allow the dough to rest for approximately 1-2 hours, it’s the best if the temperature is around 25-30 degrees and the dough is covered to keep it warm.
- Put dough gently on an oiled desk and divide it into 3 parts from which you’ll form a braid. Put braid into the oiled mold, wrap in a bag and put in the oven for about 30 minutes at 25-30 C degrees. Once arrived, the braid is coated with a beaten egg with a little milk and sprinkled with crystalline sugar or sesame seeds.
- Bake at 180 degrees. Once you get a nice color, cover with aluminum foil and return to the oven. Total baking time should be around 40 minutes.
- Coat baked kozinjak with butter and cover with a kitchen towel.
- Try it, I guarantee you’ll love it. This is the recipe that you were searching for a long time.