Any true Macedonian will agree that these 6 vegetables – eggplants, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions and garlic are the real Macedonian benchmark and are one of the best in the world. That’s why we add each one of these (except the cucumbers) in almost every dish we prepare, they give special taste to everything we cook. We use them fresh, baked, fried, preserved, frozen, you name it!
Now I’ll present you a recipe that is combined exactly with this vegetables. You can eat this caviar as a spread, as an appetizer, as makalo, combined with cheese and bread or as an addition to the main dish.
- 3 eggplants
- 2 larger tomatoes
- 5-6 red or green peppers (I prefer red if available)
- 1 head onions
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot oil
- Wash and clean from seeds eggplants and peppers and bake on a hotplate (or in oven at 200 C degrees) until softened. After baking, put in a plastic bag and leave to cool, then peel.
- Put tomatoes shortly in a boiling water, then immediately put in cold water and peel.
- Clean onions and garlic.
- Put eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic in a blender, add salt and blend till you get the desired roughness. I prefer a little rougher structure, so I blend just a bit.
- Put mixture in a deep plate or an earthenware and pour over the hot oil.
- Leave to cool then serve.