This is one of the most interesting delicacy in Macedonia, usually prepared for Easter. My mum prepares it every year and usually she and my sister in law eat it whole 🙂 She prepares it in an earthenware pot and looks and tastes really awesome. It’s prepared from the lamb intestines and they should be cleaned really good before cooking from understandable reasons. This dish is low fat and low caloric and goes well with good Macedonian white wine.
- 1 braid of lamb intestines
- 100 ml oil
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 1 tablespoon dried salty mixed spices
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 6 pieces of young garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Put cleaned intestines in water and put on fire to boil. Pour the water. Repeat the procedure again.. In the third water add mixed dried spices, pepper and add the intestines and leave to boil for around 20 minutes.
- Then place intestines in an earthenware pot, add oil and place in preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Then add the chopped garlic, mint, red pepper and some of the water in which intestines were boiled. Return the pan in the oven to bake for around 20 minutes.
- While baking, pour liquid over intestines all the time. Flip at least once. Finally, if you there is a lot of liquid, you can make thicker sauce with roux.
Enjoy and combine with good Macedonian wine 🙂