This is one of the most eaten stews in Macedonia, the green peas stew. Preparing is easy, you can use fresh beans, beans from a can or frozen, though I never use beans from a can. No matter in what state are your beans, the preparation is the same. If you use frozen beans (like I did here), add them frozen, don’t defrost first. You can prepare this stew with meat or without, your choice.
- 1 kg peas
- 2-3 chopped carrots
- 1 larger chopped potato (optional)
- 5 tbs tomato sauce
- salt or Vegeta, oil, red pepper
- Fry onion in a little oil, then add the peas, chopped carrots and potato (optional). If you’re preparing this dish with meat, then, fry chopped meat together with onion first, fry till it gets some color, then add other ingredients as follows.
- Add 1 teaspoon red pepper, 1 flat tbs Vegeta and water to cover the beans.
- I add potato in almost every stews to thicken the liquid.
- Boil till soften and add tomato sauce in the end. Check if meat is ready. Add parsley and boil for another several minutes.