Gibanica is a popular traditional Macedonian pastry dish made with eggs and cheese. It’s very easy to make and very tasty. There’s no kneading and basically I like all pastries where there’s no need for kneading 🙂
- 500 g or 1 package phyllo dough
- 500 g diced cheese or cottage cheese
- 3-5 eggs
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup sparkling water (or plain with two teaspoons of baking powder)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the oven and grease the pan.
- Mix eggs well, add cheese, water, oil, yogurt, and salt and mix nicely.
- Take one layer of phyllo dough aside. Place 2 layers on the bottom of the pan. Take 2 layers, dip them in the egg mixture and place on the dry phyllo layers. Place 1 dry layer. Then reinsert two layers previously sunk into the egg mixture. Repeat the procedure until you finish all layers. If there’s an egg mixture left, pour evenly on top. At last, place the layer that you moved aside.
- Sprinkle some oil on top, cut in squares and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden color.