I hope today’s crispy and sensational, Dalmatian fried calamari will inspire you to put some seafood on this week’s menu.
Dalmatian Fried Calamari
- 1 pound calamari (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup white flour
- (Optional) Pasta (spaghetti)
- Wash (and clean if necessary) calamari well. Place on a paper towel and pat dry as much as possible. (They keep some of the water inside, and you want to avoid water meeting hot oil.)
- Heat oil on high in a deep skillet. Place flour on a plate and coat calamari with it generously.
- Once the oil is really hot, throw the calamari on. Fry about 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip and fry another 2 minutes or so. Transfer onto a paper towel to soak up the oil.
- (Option 1) Make enough pasta for 4 people according to the box directions. After draining, coat with the oil left over after calamari frying.
- (Option 2) Make the potato salad from hake recipe on the site (link below).
You are welcome to eat these as an appetizer as well, without sides. Another few options include baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, or rice.