Chomlek (чомлек) is a traditional Macedonian dish usually prepared in winter, mostly for the New Year holidays, but that’s no rule, if you want to, you can prepare it in every other period of the year, when you have need of a delicious and mouth melting food that will wake up your senses.
- 700 g young beef
- 1 larger onion
- 1 head garlic
- about 80 small bulb onions (kokar)
- crushed (dried or fresh) pepper
- 1 dl white wine
- 100 g butter
- bay leaf
- salt, mixed spices, pepper
- Cut meat into smaller cubes.
- Clean onions and garlic.
- Finely chop large onion and parsley. Fry onion on some oil.
- Put all ingredients in an earthenware pot with good lid, add spices and mix well.
- Add wine in the end and put thin slices of butter on top.
- Put to cook on low fire (preferably on a wood-burning stove) covered with a lid for several hours. If necessary, add warm water. Comlek shouldn’t be be liquid, nor dry. It should thicken.
- It’s very important to have a good lid so food will cook better without evaporation.