Melted cheese or cheese in the oven is a delicious Macedonian specialty, which pizzerias and restaurants usually serve with nicely roasted crispy bread sprinkled with sesame seeds. Cheese in the oven is a combination of 2-3 different kinds of cheese. If desired, mushrooms, bacon or other dried meat can be added for a richer taste.
- 150 g feta cheese
- 100 g white cheese (sheep cheese is the best)
- 100 g yellow cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste, sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
You’ll need 2 smaller earthen pots coated with a little butter or oil.
- Put piece of feta cheese in the pot and spread on the bottom with a fork. Add tomato puree and a little oregano for flavor.
- Add grated yellow cheese.
- Add the crushed white cheese above.
- Add the remaining grated yellow cheese on top and add some tomato paste on top.
- Put prepared dishes in the oven at 200 degrees and bake until the cheese on top is nicely melted and gets a beautiful golden color.
Serve and taste while it’s hot. Combine with warm crispy bread.
Note: if you want to add other ingredients like dried meat or mushrooms, just put them above the first layer of feta cheese and continue the preparation process as mentioned above.