Bosnian Lasagna with Mushrooms and Sauces
Bosnian mushroom lasagna prepared with bechamel and bolognese sauces. This unusual twist of two sauces combined to make the world’s most beloved casserole will invoke memories of your first lasagna: decadent layers of broad, flat pasta softened with overflowing sauces, resulting in a thousand different sparklets of flavor at once.
The first surprising thing about this lasagna are the two classically different first-rate sauces that are combined for a lavish finish. The second surprising thing is the result of the first. Due to the volume and richness of sauces, the actual lasagna pasta needs not be precooked. When it comes out of the oven, this lasagna is soft and moist.
- 1 onion (larger, diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 10.5 grams mushrooms (portebello or other, diced)
- 7 ounces tomato sauce
- Herbs and spices to taste (parsley, celery, basil, oregano, or about 1/2 teaspoon each)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 7 ounces heavy cream
- 16 ounces milk
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 14–16 ounces cheese (gouda, edam, or other hard yellow cheese, grated)
- 12 lasagna sheets (3.5x7 inches)
- Heat up oil in a large pan over medium.
Add onions and simmer until crystalized. Add ground beef and simmer until no longer pink. Add mushrooms and simmer another 10 minutes. Finally, add tomato sauce, spices and herbs, simmer for final few minutes and remove off heat. Stir everything occasionally.
- In another pan, heat up butter on medium. Add flour and stir quickly to avoid crumbing. Add heavy cream and continue simmering. Finally, add milk. Stir the sauce continually. Remove off heat.
- Place 3 lasagna sheets on the bottom of a baking pan (no need to precook them). Top evenly with two to three ladles of bechamel sauce. Then, spread a couple of ladles of bolognese sauce with mushrooms over it. Finally, top generously with several handfuls of cheese. Repeat 3 more times (for the total of 4 layers). However do not top the top layer with cheese.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place the pan on the middle rack and bake for 15 minutes. Take out, add the last layer of cheese on top and return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.