Banica or banitsa is borrowed from the Bulgarian cuisine, but as we are neighbors. Macedonians also prepare this food very often and you can buy banitsa and smaller variations of it in every bakery shop.
- 1 kg soft flour
- 1 dl oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 kg of cottage cheese
- 1/2 kg spinach
- 2 packs sour cream (each 200 ml)
- a few drops of vinegar
- Put oil in the flour and add 2 eggs, a little salt, a few drops of vinegar and knead well the dough with a little water.
- Coat kneaded dough with oil and wrap it in a plastic bag. Let it “rest” in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In a meanwhile, mix cottage cheese with the cream, add 3 eggs and mix well.
- Fry washed spinach briefly in a pan until it softens.
- Divide dough into several pieces and roll out the dough from each piece as thin as it can get, place a row of the cottage cheese mixture and a row of spinach and wrap it in the form of rolls.
- Such pies are arranged side by side in a greased pan and baked in a preheated oven at 200 C degrees for about half an hour.
- Serve with yogurt or sour milk.