Baklava is another pastry that is typical of the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire. Today, it is one of the most popular desserts in Macedonia. It is a rich sweet pastry made of layers covered with sherbet (syrup) which seduces with it’s taste.
This is the perfect recipe of baklava. You can find the phyllo dough for this recipe in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
- 500 g or 1 package phyllo dough
- 4 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 1 baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1-2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 200 g of crushed walnuts
- 200 ml of oil
For the syrup:
- 600 g sugar
- 600 ml water.
- Mix eggs and sugar well until they reach the proper density. Then, add all the other ingredients (baking powder, flour, grounded nuts, cinnamon and oil) and mix with a spoon.
- Put some oil on the baking pan. Place 3-4 sheets of dough in the pan. Sprinkle 2 – 3 tablespoons of the mixture on top. Continue until you finish all layers.
- Cut baklava in rhomboid shapes before baking and sprinkle with a little oil on top.
- Bake at 200 ° C temperature until you get a beautiful golden yellow color. Finally, allow to cool.
Syrup: put sugar and water on fire to simmer about 10-15 minutes. Add 2 circles of lemon. Pour cold baklava with hot syrup and leave to stand for several hours (5-6 hours).